AirTight Networks SpectraGuard Sentry
- Easy to use, rich list of features
- No DHCP server, can't protect wired network
The SpectraGuard Sentry offers simple, comprehensive protection to a wireless network. If only it could protect wired connections, too.
Price$ 977.20 (AUD)
Unsecured wireless networks can pose a serious risk to small to medium businesses. Irrespective of how well locked down the wired network may be, all a user has to do is install a rogue access point at their desk to expose the corporate network.
The SpectraGuard Sentry is a basic wireless firewall pitched at small businesses, designed to protect an entire wireless network. It sniffs out any unauthorised access points and automatically protects the network from outside attacks. It will also hunt down any open wireless networks, and those secured by WEP instead of the much more robust WPA security systems.
The device itself is small, measuring 21 x 13 x 3cm (including antennae). It includes two antennae and features support for 802.11a/b/g networks straight out of the box. The silver unit is wall mountable, and accepts a power over Ethernet (PoE) connection to its single LAN port, so you can place it in a hard to reach spot, away from prying eyes. A single serial console connection accompanies a Kensington lock to round out the feature set.
Installation is straightforward: simply connect the device to a PC with the supplied crossover cable, and point a browser towards the inbuilt configuration menu. All the settings are provided in an HTML-based "Dashboard", and it takes just a few minutes to set up the device. DHCP is fully supported; however, the machine doesn't include a server itself.
The user interface is easy to use, and it's extremely straightforward to take down any unauthorised access points, clients or ad hoc connections found on the network. We tested this numerous times during the review process with a range of consumer-oriented Linksys, Belkin and NETGEAR wireless devices, and the Sentry accurately detected each within seconds.
The intrusion detection systems are top-notch, and the Sentry uses continuous events monitoring to keep abreast of threats. It also includes protection against access point MAC address spoofing (so users on your wireless network can't be tricked into connecting to an access point masquerading as another), and denial of service (DoS) attacks.
All told, AirTight's SpectraGuard Sentry does a great job of simplifying small business wireless security. Given the low price of desktop access points these days, the cost is a small price to pay to secure the data on your network. You'll need another device to secure your wired network, however, as the Sentry is focused on Wi-Fi only.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Britain's wartime codebreaking base could host a national cyber security college
- Kaspersky Labs says Microsoft is anticompetitive towards third-party antivirus
- Password manager LastPass now works on all your devices for free
- Netgear tweaks its home security camera line by introducing the Arlo Pro
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTSenior Support Account ManagerNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPWinforms DevelopersWA
- CCProject Scheduler-Port MacquarieQLD
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC