AirTight Networks SpectraGuard Sentry
- Easy to use, rich list of features
- No DHCP server, can't protect wired network
The SpectraGuard Sentry offers simple, comprehensive protection to a wireless network. If only it could protect wired connections, too.
Price$ 977.20 (AUD)
Unsecured wireless networks can pose a serious risk to small to medium businesses. Irrespective of how well locked down the wired network may be, all a user has to do is install a rogue access point at their desk to expose the corporate network.
The SpectraGuard Sentry is a basic wireless firewall pitched at small businesses, designed to protect an entire wireless network. It sniffs out any unauthorised access points and automatically protects the network from outside attacks. It will also hunt down any open wireless networks, and those secured by WEP instead of the much more robust WPA security systems.
The device itself is small, measuring 21 x 13 x 3cm (including antennae). It includes two antennae and features support for 802.11a/b/g networks straight out of the box. The silver unit is wall mountable, and accepts a power over Ethernet (PoE) connection to its single LAN port, so you can place it in a hard to reach spot, away from prying eyes. A single serial console connection accompanies a Kensington lock to round out the feature set.
Installation is straightforward: simply connect the device to a PC with the supplied crossover cable, and point a browser towards the inbuilt configuration menu. All the settings are provided in an HTML-based "Dashboard", and it takes just a few minutes to set up the device. DHCP is fully supported; however, the machine doesn't include a server itself.
The user interface is easy to use, and it's extremely straightforward to take down any unauthorised access points, clients or ad hoc connections found on the network. We tested this numerous times during the review process with a range of consumer-oriented Linksys, Belkin and NETGEAR wireless devices, and the Sentry accurately detected each within seconds.
The intrusion detection systems are top-notch, and the Sentry uses continuous events monitoring to keep abreast of threats. It also includes protection against access point MAC address spoofing (so users on your wireless network can't be tricked into connecting to an access point masquerading as another), and denial of service (DoS) attacks.
All told, AirTight's SpectraGuard Sentry does a great job of simplifying small business wireless security. Given the low price of desktop access points these days, the cost is a small price to pay to secure the data on your network. You'll need another device to secure your wired network, however, as the Sentry is focused on Wi-Fi only.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Analyst - BI, Analytics & Big DataNSW
- FTMarket Data Analyst, Investment BankingNSW
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerNSW
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent job . ACT LocationACT
- FTAsst. Director - Claim Analysis. Work Location - CanberraACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystACT
- CCIT Information ArchitectNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- TPSenior .NET Developer (Angular or React)NSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst Forecaster - TelecommunicationsNSW
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect x 2 (ETL/SSIS)NSW
- FTAudio Visual / Video Solution Architect | $100 p/hrVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst - Microsoft BI Stack - NewcastleNSW
- CCCitrix SpecialistVIC
- FTHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystSA
- FTSAP Fiori Technical SpecialistsACT