ADS Technologies Instant TV +FM PCI
- User-friendly breakout box, customisable preview grid, many recording modes
- Instant TV software is obtrusive, on-screen video degrades during timeshifting, no integrating with EPG services, no video editing or DVD burning software
This low-priced TV tuner card has some handy features, but overall it's awkward to use.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- 2-port SATA PCI Express 2.0 x1 Controller2 x 7-... 158.99
The most user-friendly feature of the ADS Tech Instant TV +FM PCI is probably its breakout box, which has composite and S-Video inputs. Thanks to the box, you don't have to access the back of your PC every time you want to connect an analog camcorder or other device.
The supplied Instant TV software, on the other hand, is quite clunky. Designed to look like a remote control, the control panel takes up a large part of a 1024 x 768 resolution screen. Unlike many other TV tuner control panels, this one won't let you hide it except by dragging it off screen--an inelegant solution.
The tuner's best features aren't obvious, For instance, you can control the size of the customisable preview grid (which shows what's currently playing on several channels), and you can determine which channels will be displayed. Recording options include seven quality levels, recording time limits, and a recording volume setting. Unfortunately, when we recorded timeshifted video at high-quality encoding settings, the on-screen video image degraded markedly. Afterward, however, the recorded MPEG-2 files played smoothly.
As its name suggests, the Instant TV +FM PCI card includes an FM radio tuner, and an RCA connection accommodates the included antenna, but there's no coaxial input.
The package's documentation covers little more than the setup procedure, with a cursory nod also to the external remote control, which contains some buttons whose purpose remains unclear. The tuner lacks video editing and DVD burning software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Intel's Skylake vPro chips will support Windows 7 after all
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- Android Auto coming to 40 car models this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCProject Server Specialist / MS ProjectNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- CCProject ManagerSA
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- FTSenior Unified Communications Consultant - National IT ServicesNSW
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCProject Manager - Customer Engagement / NPSVIC
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW