ADS Technologies Instant TV +FM PCI
- User-friendly breakout box, customisable preview grid, many recording modes
- Instant TV software is obtrusive, on-screen video degrades during timeshifting, no integrating with EPG services, no video editing or DVD burning software
This low-priced TV tuner card has some handy features, but overall it's awkward to use.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The most user-friendly feature of the ADS Tech Instant TV +FM PCI is probably its breakout box, which has composite and S-Video inputs. Thanks to the box, you don't have to access the back of your PC every time you want to connect an analog camcorder or other device.
The supplied Instant TV software, on the other hand, is quite clunky. Designed to look like a remote control, the control panel takes up a large part of a 1024 x 768 resolution screen. Unlike many other TV tuner control panels, this one won't let you hide it except by dragging it off screen--an inelegant solution.
The tuner's best features aren't obvious, For instance, you can control the size of the customisable preview grid (which shows what's currently playing on several channels), and you can determine which channels will be displayed. Recording options include seven quality levels, recording time limits, and a recording volume setting. Unfortunately, when we recorded timeshifted video at high-quality encoding settings, the on-screen video image degraded markedly. Afterward, however, the recorded MPEG-2 files played smoothly.
As its name suggests, the Instant TV +FM PCI card includes an FM radio tuner, and an RCA connection accommodates the included antenna, but there's no coaxial input.
The package's documentation covers little more than the setup procedure, with a cursory nod also to the external remote control, which contains some buttons whose purpose remains unclear. The tuner lacks video editing and DVD burning software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- The Asus ROG GT51CA has a weird ROG Band wearable that unlocks a hidden hard drive
- HP wants to turn your Mac into a 44-core Windows PC
- New Ninja desktops roar with Intel's 72-core supercomputing chip
- Chipmakers share the pain as PC, tablet, and smartphone sales decline
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCProcurement Contract SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW