Adobe Systems Version Cue CS4
Version Cue is now much less visible to users of individual CS4 programs, but better for it.
- An end to the 'parallel universe' of dialogue boxes
- Nothing of note
This simpler approach definitely takes Version Cue out of the way, while keeping its capabilities available when desired. The biggest change is having to switch to Bridge to create projects, manage their file sets, and "promote" older versions over more recent changes — you no longer do such actions in the individual CS4 programs. Administering your virtual servers — the project sets, and the access controls for the — remain in essence the same as in previous versions.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Adobe After Effects CS6 Classroom in a Book eBook 50.39
Two editions of Creative Suite ago, Adobe introduced a confusing technology called Version Cue that promised to do two things: let you track and manage versions of your files so you could revert to earlier versions if desired, and provide a shared workspace for all participants in a project to work on the files.
Adobe Version Cue CS4 is included in the following Creative Suite 4 editions: Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Premium; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Standard; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Standard; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection.
Before CS4, if the Version Cue feature was enabled, Creative Suite applications had a second set of Open and Save dialogue boxes meant to provide a unified experience across Windows and Macintosh, but one that didn't work like the rest of your application's Open and Save dialogue boxes.
In Creative Suite 4, that parallel universe of dialogue boxes is gone. Version Cue is now much less visible to users of individual CS4 programs. Now, Adobe Bridge is where you manage Version Cue projects, creating virtual servers that appear on the Mac and Windows desktops like any other network drive.
In programs such as Photoshop and InDesign, you simply open Version Cue files from those network drives, and the programs understand that you are working in the Version Cue environment. That means the applications' commands to check files in and out become available, and when you save your work by checking the files back in, the programs create a new version of the file, not replace the original.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- May the Fourth be with you: 4 Star Wars tech tributes you can actually use
- Opera pulls trigger on baked-in ad blocker
- Windows 10 migration: At least it's not like last time
- How Microsoft is building on Windows 10, and why developers care
- Google Chrome dethrones Internet Explorer to become undisputed browser champion
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer, renewable contractAsia
- FTApplication Manager | Telco IndustryVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- CCUX Designer and UX ResearcherVIC
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- FTApplication Team Lead | Billing & CreditVIC
- CCMEAN Stack DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC