Launching version 11.5 of Adobe Director at the Games Developers Conference, Adobe has an obvious market in mind
- H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound, real-time audio mixing and effects, RTMP-based streaming, Sketchup 3D content, ByteArray data type, productivity enhancements.
Embedded Flash, native H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound and real-time audio mixing and effects will provide a lot of oomph to your projects. Shockwave penetration and RTMP-based streaming keeps Director valid in the Web market, but in the gaming arena there are now strong contenders to this old warhorse.
Price$ 2,019.00 (AUD)
Productivity improvements include support for multiple undo or redo operations and, as you would hope, version 11.5 introduces authoring and playback on Mac OS X 10.5. Firefox 3.0 is also supported for browser playback, while enhancements to the text engine include Open Type Font (OTF) embedding on the Mac.
Director 11.5 offers ByteArray as a new member type and core object in Lingo (Director’s native scripting environment), for optimised reading, writing and working with binary data. The new data type allows you to import and store byte array content as a cast member inside your projects.
ByteArray manipulates content from images, audio and video directly, passing the binary data over a network or storing and reading it locally. For example, you could output the contents of a sound object as a byte array, then modify the byte array data with scripting before playing the sound object.
The ByteArray object can be used to store text in any character set, so as well as non-text data, it can deal with non-UTF-8 characters in Lingo. This supports the Unicode text and fonts (introduced in Director 11), which are essential when designing for an international audience. It can also be used to create byte-level algorithms, for purposes such as encryption.
In Director, meanwhile, Google Sketchup 3D models are now fully supported (as above). This gives users direct access to the massive online model repository at the Google 3D warehouse. With this, Adobe seems to be addressing the competition in the gaming world by providing this bolt-on solution rather than boosting Director’s 3D modelling potential.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google promotes Keep note app to a G Suite core service, much to our relief
- Lenovo to integrate Amazon Alexa in Moto smartphones
- Google will start adding Assistant to Nougat and Marshmallow phones this week
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTDrupal Developer - SeniorQLD
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- TPTechnical Report EditorQLD
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- TPWintel EngineerVIC
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW