Launching version 11.5 of Adobe Director at the Games Developers Conference, Adobe has an obvious market in mind
- H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound, real-time audio mixing and effects, RTMP-based streaming, Sketchup 3D content, ByteArray data type, productivity enhancements.
Embedded Flash, native H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound and real-time audio mixing and effects will provide a lot of oomph to your projects. Shockwave penetration and RTMP-based streaming keeps Director valid in the Web market, but in the gaming arena there are now strong contenders to this old warhorse.
Price$ 2,019.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Productivity improvements include support for multiple undo or redo operations and, as you would hope, version 11.5 introduces authoring and playback on Mac OS X 10.5. Firefox 3.0 is also supported for browser playback, while enhancements to the text engine include Open Type Font (OTF) embedding on the Mac.
Director 11.5 offers ByteArray as a new member type and core object in Lingo (Director’s native scripting environment), for optimised reading, writing and working with binary data. The new data type allows you to import and store byte array content as a cast member inside your projects.
ByteArray manipulates content from images, audio and video directly, passing the binary data over a network or storing and reading it locally. For example, you could output the contents of a sound object as a byte array, then modify the byte array data with scripting before playing the sound object.
The ByteArray object can be used to store text in any character set, so as well as non-text data, it can deal with non-UTF-8 characters in Lingo. This supports the Unicode text and fonts (introduced in Director 11), which are essential when designing for an international audience. It can also be used to create byte-level algorithms, for purposes such as encryption.
In Director, meanwhile, Google Sketchup 3D models are now fully supported (as above). This gives users direct access to the massive online model repository at the Google 3D warehouse. With this, Adobe seems to be addressing the competition in the gaming world by providing this bolt-on solution rather than boosting Director’s 3D modelling potential.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Hackers figure out how to seize control of a car from anywhere
- Mozilla to focus on minimizing desertions to Edge with new Windows 10 Firefox
- Most Google de-listing requests are from everyday folk, leaked data shows
- Michael Dell: Dell will ship Windows 10 PCs on July 29
- Microsoft wraps up revamped Office 2016 for Mac
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW