Adobe Systems Audition 2.0
- New design, Excellent plugins, Multi-track recording, Video pipeline integration
- Hard to master
Adobe Audition 2.0 is highly recommended for people looking for audio tools that are powerful yet fairly intuitive too.
Price$ 669.00 (AUD)
When it comes to audio creation and editing, Adobe's Audition software has been through hard times of late. Evolving from a nifty program called Cool Edit Pro, many users have complained about lack of functionality in some areas and counter-intuitive design in others. With 2.0, the third iteration of Audition, Adobe has gone back to the drawing board with a complete redesign and increased functionality and usability. The result is remarkable; a powerful audio tool which consumers can comfortably use without too much hassle.
The new design focus allows for various customisations to the workspace with windows that can now be docked together for easier grouping or resized to conserve desktop space. The colours and curves look more like Macintosh software now, perhaps in an attempt to make the software feel more high-end and professional.
The biggest changes since version 1.5 come in the core functions. The focus seems to be on plugin management, automation, multi-track recording and production pipeline integration. With over 50 plugins included in the package and more available from third party sources, creating unique, high quality audio is much simpler. In the past, plugins generally had to be applied to entire projects and then merged into individual tracks. In 2.0, plugins can be applied to singular tracks either via the individual buses or on the master output. The most impressive new plugin is the multi-band composer from Izotope which allows complete control and manipulation of the threshold, gain, and attack on-the-fly. All the plugins can be easily applied using the Mastering Rack, which can hold up to 16 plugins per track, each with their own individual effect controls.
Automation has been significantly improved with the removal of track envelopes. Adobe has opted for a more natural and simpler on-the-fly style mixer. This allows you to adjust the volume and pan as you move along a track. As you record, the edit points are created in a dedicated automation lane. This lane makes it much easier to edit as opposed to the old, cramped style where they would appear just above the waveform.
Recording on a whole is more robust with the addition of multi-track recording. One incredibly useful new feature is the ability to apply an effect to an incoming audio source without recording the effect on your PC. This means that while you are playing an instrument you can hear what your desired effects will sound like once you apply them but the file recorded on your computer will be pure and unedited.
Adobe has made a huge effort to simplify production pipelines with their Production Suite software, of which this package is an element. Adobe Bridge is used by audition to track source assets which can then be shared across all the programs in the suite. In the same vein, Audition 2.0 has been ingeniously integrated with Premiere Pro 2.0 for projects like film scoring. You can import an AVI from premiere into audition and then lay down score while watching the footage. This makes synchronisation extremely easy since the audio is being created with the video on hand. Once you have finished creating the score, the entire project can be exported back into premiere with the newly created audio already in place and ready to go. This is a great feature and one that will be greatly appreciated by budding filmmakers the world over.
Adobe Audition 2.0 has really matured in this iteration and become an audio tool worth thinking about. It is not suitable for people with little to no knowledge of audio editing techniques and terminology as it is extremely complex and hard to understand without some training or research. However, we found it enjoyable to use and highly recommend it for people looking for something powerful yet fairly intuitive.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- New Google Home partnerships expand the smart speaker’s footprint in the smart home
- If Google Assistant isn't your thing, you can now talk to Cortana on the lock screen
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
- 10 powerful, obscure Windows keyboard shortcuts you should know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- CCTechnical Project ManagerNSW
- FTAgile CoachVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Reports EditorQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager -Wealth/Funds Management SoftwareVIC
- FTFinancial ERP Customer - Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst (BPMN or UML & Agile)QLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW
- CCTest Manager with PV Security ClearanceACT
- FTGraduate Application Support Analyst -SMSF SoftwareNSW
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- CC.Net Developer - SilverlightVIC
- FTLead DevOps EngineerNSW
- TPApplication Support EngineerQLD
- FTSAP Logistics ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Marketing Analyst | Immediate startVIC
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTJunior Wintel Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCITCM EngineerNSW