Skylanders Trap Team (PlayStation 4)
Popular kids property taps into the dark side.
- Fun and accessible gameplay.
- Skystones card game returns.
- A bit too easy to level up.
- Nothing new for old characters.
From siding with villains to playing with cards, fans of Skylanders will find much to like in Trap Team.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Skylanders is a unique series that mixes video games with real-life plastic figurines. The way the two are linked is through a Portal of Power device that imports the figurine into the game world. Past games have let you play as the heroes, though Trap Team mixes it up by letting you play as the villains.
Relying on the bad guys
The video game portion of Skylanders Trap Team is an action platformer where you put your imported character through their paces. The six new characters in Trap Team are as memorable as ever, and the game does a good job of representing the included figurines, which are of high quality and detail. There is also the existing cast of over 40 villains to play with.
The aim of the game is to progress through the single player campaign and collect treasure to gain character upgrades. Team members can be called on to use their support abilities, and even the villains will lend a helping hand if requested. In single player mode you swap between characters to activate their abilities, while in co-op another person can help out.
The Skystones collectible card game that was left out of last year’s Swap Force has been reintroduced to Trap Team. The surprisingly deep card game forces you to think about attack and defence point when putting together strategies. It was one of the more memorable diversions in 2012’s Giants, so it is good to see it make a return.
Enough booty for all
Skylanders is mainly geared at a younger audience, so the game never gets too challenging and there is plenty of treasure to collect. This means the new characters can have their statistics maxed out without too much effort, to the point where there is no reason to collect any more loot. Trap Team could have been an opportunity to add new abilities to existing characters to use the treasure on, but there is no such option.
One thing that has improved with treasure hunting is how it is handled in co-op. In the past the player collected the loot individually, which led to both players competing against each other. Now the treasure is shared so players of different levels can get a fair distribution of treasure.
By expanding the cast of characters to include villains and introduce tweaks all round, Trap Team is a significant step up from Swap Force and Giants. The game also benefits from an overall boost in graphics thanks to the new generation of console hardware. The game does not add much for existing characters, but it does give you more opportunities to collect treasure than before.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- TPInformation Security OfficerACT
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Technical Consultant - MicrosoftACT
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- TPPerformance Test Analyst - Perth BasedQLD