Skylanders Trap Team (PlayStation 4)
Popular kids property taps into the dark side.
- Fun and accessible gameplay.
- Skystones card game returns.
- A bit too easy to level up.
- Nothing new for old characters.
From siding with villains to playing with cards, fans of Skylanders will find much to like in Trap Team.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Skylanders is a unique series that mixes video games with real-life plastic figurines. The way the two are linked is through a Portal of Power device that imports the figurine into the game world. Past games have let you play as the heroes, though Trap Team mixes it up by letting you play as the villains.
Relying on the bad guys
The video game portion of Skylanders Trap Team is an action platformer where you put your imported character through their paces. The six new characters in Trap Team are as memorable as ever, and the game does a good job of representing the included figurines, which are of high quality and detail. There is also the existing cast of over 40 villains to play with.
The aim of the game is to progress through the single player campaign and collect treasure to gain character upgrades. Team members can be called on to use their support abilities, and even the villains will lend a helping hand if requested. In single player mode you swap between characters to activate their abilities, while in co-op another person can help out.
The Skystones collectible card game that was left out of last year’s Swap Force has been reintroduced to Trap Team. The surprisingly deep card game forces you to think about attack and defence point when putting together strategies. It was one of the more memorable diversions in 2012’s Giants, so it is good to see it make a return.
Enough booty for all
Skylanders is mainly geared at a younger audience, so the game never gets too challenging and there is plenty of treasure to collect. This means the new characters can have their statistics maxed out without too much effort, to the point where there is no reason to collect any more loot. Trap Team could have been an opportunity to add new abilities to existing characters to use the treasure on, but there is no such option.
One thing that has improved with treasure hunting is how it is handled in co-op. In the past the player collected the loot individually, which led to both players competing against each other. Now the treasure is shared so players of different levels can get a fair distribution of treasure.
By expanding the cast of characters to include villains and introduce tweaks all round, Trap Team is a significant step up from Swap Force and Giants. The game also benefits from an overall boost in graphics thanks to the new generation of console hardware. The game does not add much for existing characters, but it does give you more opportunities to collect treasure than before.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Star Citizen dumps DirectX 12 plans to focus on Vulkan-powered graphics
- Dungeons and Dragons ditches pen and paper with D&D Beyond
- Exclusive no more: PlayStation 4 games are coming to the PC via PlayStation Now
- Adding video apps like Netflix to the Nintendo Switch is a waste of Nintendo's energy
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- TPSenior Node.JS DeveloperNSW
- CCDevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTC# / ASP.NET DeveloperSA
- TPGIS Officer | Map InfoQLD
- FTIT ManagerVIC
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperQLD
- TPTechnical Analyst - 6 Month Contract - Great Rates Of PayNSW
- FTDesign Specialist - TelecomNSW
- TPSystems ManagerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst AgileQLD
- FTQA LeadNSW
- CCTest LeadQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTFunctional Consultant - CommercialsQLD
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CC.NET Developer!QLD
- TPIT Project ManagerNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC