Acronis ANZ Privacy Expert Suite 8.0
As a standard spyware stopper, Acronis is simple to use - but it isn't exactly revolutionary. The secure deletion facility will be of use to the paranoid or those looking to wipe old hardware before disposing of it, but could be considered overkill for everyday use.
Price$ None (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Like antivirus and firewall software, spyware protection is an essential tool in the avid internet-surfer's armoury. Like it or not, spend a fair amount of time online and at some point you're going to pick up some spyware - hidden applications that secretly monitor your activities and send them back to the mothership without your permission.
The market is awash with antispyware products, including some solid free offerings. Acronis has attempted to stand out from the crowd by combining file shredding with spyware detection and eradication.
Delete a file in Windows and it may be gone from view, but traces of it remain on your hard drive. The standard delete operation merely marks the area of the disk as free space that can subsequently be used. The data contained in the file will remain until the area is actually used to store something else.
Privacy Expert combats this with eight different methods of wiping the data - from simply overwriting the space with zeros to writing random data to the affected area 35 times. This ensures there's no chance of the information being recovered.
This data-destruction process can be applied to your internet history, system data, application activity, individual files or even entire hard drives. The latter is useful if you intend to sell or give away an old PC or drive.
Spyware detection consists of the standard system scan, which looks for any programs already installed, combined with monitoring to prevent new ones climbing onboard. A year's worth of spyware updates is included. Further cover costs more, although at this stage it isn't clear how much.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCOracle Siebel Administrator - JULY STARTACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, LifeNSW
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCIdentity SpecialistQLD
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- CCApplication Test AnalystACT
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCProjects Resource/ Workforce ManagerVIC
- CCChange Manager- ProcurementNSW
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MXNSW
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Routing & switching | Design, implementation, L3 supportNSW