First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Acer Computer Australia Pty Ltd AL1912M
- Brilliant colour response.
- Dim backlighting.
This unit produced an excellent colour response. A great all-round screen for watching movies, playing games or browsing the Internet.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 5 stores)
- Numbers by Hinkler Books Pty Ltd 5.98
- Sounds by Hinkler Books Pty Ltd 6.44
- Colours by Hinkler Books Pty Ltd 6.44
Acer's AL1912M panel is capable of displaying up to 16.7million colours. This means that it has the ability to reproduce a large colour gamut.
When put through DisplayMate, the AL1912M displayed all the greyscale levels clearly in the extreme greyscale tests, while maintaining a solid black background. It was splendid in the colour blending and 256-level colour intensity ramp tests, where colour banding was not noticeable.
It's not an overly bright monitor - its specifications list a brightness rating of only 250cd/m². However, this was not a problem in our testing environment and, coupled with its contrast ratio of 500:1, this monitor produced a vibrant image, yet neutral colours. Viewing from the sides and from the top was also very good and the amount of blurring we noticed in the motion blur test was minimal.
As an everyday screen the AL1912M is superb. It can be used for office work, games and movies, which makes it a pretty versatile screen. It has analog input only, but this no doubt helps keep the cost down. The AL1912M has a 2cm bezel around the side and top edges of the screen. A simple and narrow base is attached to the neck of the monitor, but this base is not very stable, as it lifts up a little when tilting the screen.
While Acer has a recommended retail price, a quick online search yielded prices lower than this. At that lower price, you should definitely consider picking one up.
Latest News Articles
- Sony profit leaps on PlayStation 4 strength
- China's Xiaomi rises to fifth place in smartphone rankings
- No patch yet for zero day in Symantec Endpoint Protection software driver
- Android grabs record 85 per cent smartphone share
- FCC chairman grills Verizon over data throttling
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 3 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 4 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
- 5 How to pick the right size TV for your living room
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Monitors View all »
- 25% off $299
- 60% off $12.99
- Desktop PCs View all »
- Notebooks View all »
- Home Entertainment View all »
- Digital Video View all »