First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Acer TravelMate 8104WLMi
Like other recent Acer models, the latest TravelMate, the 8104WLMi, has a stylish corporate folio appearance.
- Exceptional performance, very good battery life
- Nothing notable
The TravelMate 8104WLMi is a great portable multimedia machine for school or business.
Price$ 4,299.00 (AUD)
This unit also has the excellent application performance (324 in SYSMark 2001 plus 91 in PC World Bench 5), long battery life (96 minutes in our gruelling battery tests) and low weight (3kg).
The 8006LMi uses Intel's Centrino technology. Acer includes 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM and 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X700 graphics. Its 15.4" screen has a maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 in wide-aspect.
The 81040WLMi also includes a sizeable 80GB hard disk (with under-chassis shock protection), modular (hot swappable) multiformat DVD writer and flexible networking options with built-in 56Kbps modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11bg Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Activation and status buttons are located on the front fascia for Bluetooth and certified 802.11bg wireless networking. Acer also claims that its SignalUp antenna technology improves connection reliability.
Ports include VGA-out and DVI connections for external monitors, in addition to S-Video TV-out, FireWire and four USB 2.0 slots. There's also a multiformat card reader (including xD-Picture Card), S/PDIF audio-output, FireWire and an Acer SmartCard slot. You can also purchase an optional EasyPort Replicator III dock.
The 8104WLMi's warranty is three years as standard--you return it to base if anything goes wrong, and if you live in a capital city, you're guaranteed a fix within two hours.
Latest News Articles
- Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone
- Imation 2-in-1 Micro USB Flash drive for Android
- IN PICTURES: Game Masters exhibition explores history's most influential (+74 photos)
- Twitter expands keyword targeting so Nestlé knows you 'luv' coffee
- President Lincoln makes cameo in Apple Samsung court battle
Most Popular Articles
- 1 How to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 Google Edition
- 2 Aldi's new budget 8in Android tablet has 3G, makes phone calls
- 3 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 4 Capacitive vs resistive touchscreens
- 5 Aldi's new budget Android smartphone isn't very good value
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Best Deals on PCWorld
- NotebooksView all »
- TabletsView all »
- Desktop PCsView all »
- Servers & StorageView all »
- Software and ServicesView all »