Acer TravelMate 8104WLMi
- Exceptional performance, very good battery life
- Nothing notable
The TravelMate 8104WLMi is a great portable multimedia machine for school or business.
Price$ 4,299.00 (AUD)
Like other recent Acer models, the latest TravelMate, the 8104WLMi, has a stylish corporate folio appearance.
This unit also has the excellent application performance (324 in SYSMark 2001 plus 91 in PC World Bench 5), long battery life (96 minutes in our gruelling battery tests) and low weight (3kg).
The 8006LMi uses Intel's Centrino technology. Acer includes 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM and 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X700 graphics. Its 15.4" screen has a maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 in wide-aspect.
The 81040WLMi also includes a sizeable 80GB hard disk (with under-chassis shock protection), modular (hot swappable) multiformat DVD writer and flexible networking options with built-in 56Kbps modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11bg Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Activation and status buttons are located on the front fascia for Bluetooth and certified 802.11bg wireless networking. Acer also claims that its SignalUp antenna technology improves connection reliability.
Ports include VGA-out and DVI connections for external monitors, in addition to S-Video TV-out, FireWire and four USB 2.0 slots. There's also a multiformat card reader (including xD-Picture Card), S/PDIF audio-output, FireWire and an Acer SmartCard slot. You can also purchase an optional EasyPort Replicator III dock.
The 8104WLMi's warranty is three years as standard--you return it to base if anything goes wrong, and if you live in a capital city, you're guaranteed a fix within two hours.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- Why my older Chromebook has a right to live, even if Google says it's over
- A Surface all-in-one PC may lead a Microsoft hardware refresh in October
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Surface Pro 3's massive battery drain is a software problem, Microsoft says
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW