Acer TravelMate 8005LMi
- Great performance and battery life
- One-year RTB warranty
With its high performance, great battery life and extensive multimedia capabilities, the 8005LMi will undoubtedly please those looking for portable performance.
Price$ 3,049.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
High-end performance and great battery life are the main drawcards of this machine. Using a Dothan Pentium M CPU (running at 1.8GHz), the 8005LMi also has 512MB of memory and an 80GB hard drive. This combination of components produced a fine score of 279 in SYSMark 2001, and its 3D performance also turned out to be stellar in our tests thanks to the 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 PRO graphics chip.
Given its great all-round performance, we were pleasantly surprised when our worst-case-scenario battery test yielded a fantastic result of 130 minutes.
The multimedia connoisseur will make good use of the FireWire and USB 2.0 ports of this unit, as well as the 4X DVD burner and dedicated memory card slots. Parallel, serial and PS/2 ports are not provided, but you can purchase a port replicator if they are required.
Rounding out the system are wireless connectivity and a smart card slot. Perhaps the only shortcoming is the warranty, which is one-year return-to-base. Considering the asking price of the notebook, this is relatively brief, even though you do get a two-hour express turnaround.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Acer's new Predator gaming systems are powerful beasts that will also run your VR headset
- Apple updates MacBook with new processors, adds Rose Gold
- Hands on with NexDock, the laptop that isn't
- The Surface Pro 4 Type Cover gets fancy with premium Signature Edition
- Nvidia's Pascal GPU tech specs revealed: Full CUDA count, clock speeds, and more
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- FTSenior Change Manager - Capital MarketsNSW
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW