Acer TravelMate 3202XMi
- Small size, good battery, flexible networking
- One-year warranty as standard
With a great design and great performance, the feature-packed 3202XMi is a good buy for mobile business people.
Price$ 3,895.00 (AUD)
It's clear that Acer has put some serious thought into its TravelMate 3200 range.
For ergonomics, this model includes a latchless lid, four-way scroll button and dedicated Page-Up, Page-Down, Home and End keys. In addition, our test unit weighed just 2.4kg, had an excellent worst-case-scenario battery life of 95 minutes and came with Acer's ePowerManagement software.
The 3292XMi has flexible networking options, including built-in 56K modem and Gigabit Ethernet connections. Activation and status buttons are located on the front fascia for Bluetooth and certified 802.11b/g wireless networking, and Acer claims its SignalUp antenna technology improves connection reliability. The 3202XMi also supports Cisco's Light Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP) technology that helps secure wireless communications, but is proprietary to Cisco access points.
Our test machine included a 1.6GHz Intel Pentium M processor (Dothan version) and 512MB of 333MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM (of a maximum 2GB). A 60GB 4200rpm hard disk was used and the 14.1" display was capable of a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 thanks, in part, to the speedy 64MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller. The 3202XMi includes a slim multiformat (-/+/RAM) DVD burner. The DVD burner is welcome, but it would have been better if it were a modular drive, swappable for say, a second battery. The notebook also has two USB ports and a single FireWire port, plus an integrated multicard reader.
This 3200 series has an optional docking station, and a legacy port (serial, parallel, PS/2) cable is also available for an additional charge.
Its performance was quite strong in business-application benchmark SYSMark 2001 (269) but it's the score of 10,563 in 3DMark 2001 that blew us away for a machine of this stature.
Only a one-year warranty is included as standard (with two-hour repair turnaround) but this can be upgraded to three years for a bit extra.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Steam updates user reviews to better reflect trends
- Galaxy Note 6 rumors hint at IR autofocus, USB-C connectivity, new Snapdragon SoC
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare goes full sci-fi with space-based gunfights
- HP's new Chromebook 13 has features to match top-line Windows PCs
- Acer's new Predator gaming systems are powerful beasts that will also run your VR headset
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCSr. Business Analyst - ServicePLUSVIC
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCIBM MDM SpecialistVIC
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCJAVA ArchitectVIC
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW