Acer Extensa 3002WLM
- Multiformat DVD burner, great application performance.
- Crummy graphics performance.
Acer's Extensa 3302WLM is suitable for budget buyers looking for a good-looking notebook with a wide screen and DVD burning.
Price$ 2,199.00 (AUD)
Acer's low-cost Extensa range is perfect for the budget and educational markets. Acer has reduced costs on this particular 3000 series configuration by omitting Wi-Fi and accelerated graphics--however, these remain options.
The stylish 3002WLM has a 15.4" wide aspect display with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800, driven by Intel Extreme Graphics 2 graphics (part of the 855GME chipset) that can steal up to 64MB from main memory.
Core specifications include an Intel Pentium M processor running at 1.6GHz, 256MB of 333MHz PC-2700 DDR SDRAM, a 4200rpm 40GB hard disk, multiformat DVD writer, S-Video TV-Out, FireWire and three USB 2.0 ports. One Type II PC Card is supported and cursor control is via a touchpad with scrolling button. Acer pre-installs Windows XP Home, its own custom software (covering boot order, power management and system settings) in addition to Acer Aspire Arcade 3.0 multimedia playback. It also bundles NTI CD & DVD-Maker 6.5 software and CyberLink PowerProducer 2 Gold for video authoring.
This brings us to one of the key advantages of this model: Acer has included a multiformat DVD burner as standard.
Our SYSMark 2001 benchmark returned 247 on the Acer, which is excellent for a sub-$2500 notebook. If you don't have a lot to spend, want a notebook that looks good, has a wide screen and can burn DVDs, this could be for you.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Surface Pro 3's massive battery drain is a software problem, Microsoft says
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
- Microsoft's pricey Surface Book is getting stomped by the ancient Surface Pro 3
- Alienware's tiny Alpha gaming PC gets bigger muscles... in the US
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- FTBusiness Analyst (Superannuation)NSW
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCChange / Project ManagerVIC
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia