Abit Computer Fatal1ty AA8XE motherboard
- Easy installation, Superior heat resistance, No evidence of instability
- None to speak of.
This board should capture the imagination of the gaming market, thanks to its cooling innovations, fast specs and red-illuminated edges.
Price$ 420.00 (AUD)
This motherboard squarely targets gamers who want to build a powerful and intimidating rig.
It uses the 925XE chipset from Intel, which means it will accommodate Pentium 4 processors that have a 1066MHz frontside bus, DDR2 memory modules, PCI Express graphics, up to four SATA hard drives and dual network connections. It has all the peripheral connectivity you would expect of a board in this class, although only one parallel ATA port is provided.
The focus of the AA8XE is robustness. ABIT claims that each board is put through the wringer to ensure rock-solid stability (something we can attest to having witnessed first-hand in the component temperature testing rooms at ABIT's development headquarters). It's apparent that this board has undergone extensive engineering to combat heat issues, and this manifests primarily around the CPU, where dual extraction fans, heat sinks and a fan-shroud have been used to cool the MOSFETs (metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistors). According to ABIT's research, these transistors become among the hottest running components during strenuous periods of system use.
In addition, ABIT has strategically placed copper strips underneath the CPU area to draw heat away from the circuit board itself, and a rigid fan assembly has been created to cool the memory modules. All fans are controlled by the mGuru utility, which also monitors system temperatures.
Installation was a breeze, although we did have to remove the fan shroud to gain access to the mounting hole in the top-left corner of the board.
We then tested this board for a full work day with strenuous 2D and 3D workloads and, as hoped, found no evidence of instability or heat-related issues.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours
- Intel's mobile future is in blazing modems as it buries Atom failure
- PC prices will continue to go up due to shortage of components
- Radeon Vega vs. GeForce GTX 1080 Ti? AMD, Nvidia announce dueling events at GDC 2017
- Toshiba's in chaos, but not quitting PCs -- yet
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIT Operations Centre EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW