Abit Computer AL8
- Includes RAID diskette, excellence performance, high speed firewire transfer
- Capacitors close to graphics card slot
Rock solid performance and pain-free installation make this board a sweet choice as a new Intel Pentium platform. It's a particularly good board to consider if you use a lot of FireWire devices.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
ABIT thoughtfully includes a floppy disk with RAID drivers in this Intel 945P-based motherboard, which is convenient if you want to install Windows XP on a RAID array. We did just that with this board, using the integrated Intel RAID controller (it also has a two-port Silicon Image RAID controller), and experienced no issues at all during the operating system installation nor during benchmarking. In fact, this board produced excellent scores in all of our tests, especially in the FireWire test, in which it topped nearly all other boards we have looked at.
The design of the board places the PCIe graphics slot just below the memory slots, which means you would have to remove your graphics card to add or remove memory modules. Four capacitors reside very near the PCIe release lever, which could make graphics card removal tricky. There is only one IDE port is on this board as well as a floppy drive port, which is located on the bottom edge of the board and may cause cable routing headaches. Legacy ports are present on the rear connectivity cluster, along with a FireWire port.
The Northbridge has an active cooling device attached to it, which was not noisy, and ABIT's mGuru utility can be used through Windows to control its profile--whether you want it to be running at full-speed or slightly stifled. The package includes IDE and floppy cables, four secure SATA cables as well as a dual-head power cable, and an expansion bracket that connects to the internal USB 2.0 and FireWire ports.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- The Asus ROG GT51CA has a weird ROG Band wearable that unlocks a hidden hard drive
- HP wants to turn your Mac into a 44-core Windows PC
- New Ninja desktops roar with Intel's 72-core supercomputing chip
- Chipmakers share the pain as PC, tablet, and smartphone sales decline
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSharepoint DeveloperACT
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect (security domain)VIC
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- FTSoftware (.Net) DeveloperACT
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCTest Execution ManagerVIC
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCSr. Project ManagerVIC
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst (Manual)NSW
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC