185 Wireless Secrets: Unleash the Power of Pdas, Cell Phones and Wireless Networks
The Insider's Guide to:
* Demystifying wireless and mobile technologies (see Chapters 1 & 2)
* Planning, connecting, and extending the capabilities of your wireless network (see Chapters 3--6)
* Choosing the right mobile device and service (see Chapter 7)
* Staying connected on the road so you don't miss a beat (see Chapter 8)
* Working with mobile e-mail and messaging (see Chapter 9)
* Getting the most out of your PDA (see Chapter 10)
* Using your mobile device to find and download screen savers, games, and cool ring tones (see Chapter 11)
* Controlling your home remotely-from wireless lighting to wireless babysitter cams (see Chapter 12)
* Easy steps to securing your wireless and mobile networks from hackers (see Chapters 15 & 16)
Jack has authored books, magazine articles, and white papers on computer security, and launched www.rzrwire.com, the first computer security Web site serving the average person with limited technical knowledge. His written works have been translated into several languages.
Many universities have used his books and white papers in information security courses, as have the governments of Australia, the Peoples Republic of China, Japan, Brazil, and Taiwan. Jack continues to actively research information security, discover new ways to exploit the weaknesses in networked systems, and determine best practices that enable the average computer user to address these threats in an efficient manner.
When he isn’t writing about or researching technology, Jack teaches karate and self-defense under the watchful eye of Sensei Floyd Burk at the Alpine Karate Academy in Alpine, California, and practices writing about himself in third person.
Table of Contents
Part I: Introduction to Wireless Networking and Internet Access.
Chapter 1: Demystifying Wireless Networking.
Chapter 2: Demystifying Mobile Technology.
Part II: Unwired at Home and in the Office.
Chapter 3: Planning Your WLAN.
Chapter 4: Putting It All Together.
Chapter 5: Connecting to the Internet.
Chapter 6: Extending the Range of Your WLAN.
Part III: Mobile Wireless.
Chapter 7: Choosing the Right Mobile Device and Service.
Chapter 8: Staying Connected on the Road.
Chapter 9: Working with Mobile E-Mail and Messaging.
Chapter 10: Getting the Most Out of Your PDA.
Chapter 11: Having Fun with Your Wireless Device.
Part IV: Other Wireless Technologies.
Chapter 12: Controlling Your Home Remotely.
Chapter 13: Wireless and Multimedia Devices.
Part V: Safe and Secure Wireless Computing.
Chapter 14: Exposing Crackers , Hackers, and Their Tools.
Chapter 15: Easy Steps to Securing Your WLAN.
Chapter 16: Secrets to Safe and Secure Mobile Computing.
Chapter 17: Simple Steps for Protecting Data.
Part VI: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Wi-Fi Networking Resources.
Appendix B: Mobile Wireless Resources.
Appendix C: Manufacturers.
Best Deals on PCWorld
- TabletsView all »
- NotebooksView all »
- Mobile PhonesView all »
- Printers & ScannersView all »
- Networking, Wireless & VoIPView all »
Sign up to PC World Today for the latest news, reviews and galleries from PC World Australia.Sign up now »
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTWeb Analyst - WebTrendsVIC
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTTest EngineerVIC
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTFlash / ActionScript Developer - ContractNSW