Adding Memory to old laptops: Lenovo ThinkPad Z60m
James Hopkin has worked in the Australian computer industry since 1987. He founded Upgradeable.com in 1999 as an independent online source for computer memory upgrades. From day one the Upgradeable way has been to help computer users easily upgrade their systems.
This notebook is slightly different compared to other notebooks on the market with regards to its memory slot placement. Generally, most notebooks will have both memory slots located on the base or one slot on the base and one located underneath the keyboard. The Lenovo Z60m has both of its memory slots located underneath the palm rest of the notebook.
The Lenovo ThinkPad Z60m Notebook has the following specifications:
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-4300, 533MHz, 200-PIN, SO-DIMM
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Configuration: 2 Slots
Base Memory (Non-Removable): 0MB
Before you begin the installation, it's worth considering backing up any critical files in the event of a problem occurring. DO NOT install the memory while the computer is in standby or hibernation mode. Ensure that the system is completely powered down.
This is simply done to remove any static electricity from your body so that accidental zaps don't damage your memory modules. While your computer is still plugged into the wall, touch a metal part of your computer. If you leave your computer you will need to ground yourself again. Alternatively, you can invest in an anti-static strap and clip yourself to a grounded piece of metal.
Once the computer is completely shutdown, remove all plugs and the power cable from the computer. As you are upgrading a notebook it is also important to remove the battery.
Always keep the memory modules in their anti-static bag until you are ready to begin the installation. Handle the modules only by the edges and don't touch the gold pins. No tools are required to remove or fit memory modules and using tools can cause damage to the modules.
1. Remove the four screws that secure the palm rest to the system.
2. Turn the system over and lift open the screen. Push at the sides of the palm rest so it bends upwards in the middle a little, and lift it slightly away from the system.
3. Bring the palm rest cover towards you and rest it on the table. This will expose the two memory slots for your system.
Installing the memory module
1.To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out at 45 degree angle.
2. To install the new memory, hold the module at a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the module with the notch located in the memory slot.
3. Gently push the module in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the module in place.
4. Make sure the module is firmly in the slot and that's it's not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the module by repeating steps 1 to 3.
5. Reverse the palm rest removal instructions to put your system back together.
You're done! Once you have closed your computer and reattached all the accessories that were connected, it's time to switch it on. No software or settings will need to be changed as the computer detects the memory upgrade automatically.
Find more memory upgrades at: www.upgradeable.com.au.
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 Creators Update: The 5 biggest changes
- Missing pieces: What Microsoft failed to deliver in the Windows 10 Creators Update
- Here's proof that Ryzen can benefit from optimized game code
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Sleek new Galaxy S8 phones feature facial recognition, Bixby intelligent agent
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTCisco Network Engineer (FIFO)WA
- FTICT Account Manager / ICT Client Services ManagerQLD
- TPAPS6 Java DeveloperACT
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - Microsoft / VMWareVIC
- FTInfrastructure Analyst - Storage & Backup SystemsNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTWeb BA LeadQLD
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTJunior Network EngineerNSW
- CCPeoplesoft ConsultantNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Performance AnalystQLD
- CCICT Strategist and AdvisorNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior Test Analyst-InfrastructureNSW
- FTDigital Content Specialist/ Content DesignerNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistNSW
- FTData Analyst LeadSA
- CCTSM SpecialistNSW