Adding Memory to old laptops: Acer Aspire 3680
James Hopkin has worked in the Australian computer industry since 1987. He founded Upgradeable.com in 1999 as an independent online source for computer memory upgrades. From day one the Upgradeable way has been to help computer users easily upgrade their systems.
The Acer Aspire 3680 has the following memory specifications:
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-4300, 533Mhz, 200-PIN SO-DIMM
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Configuration: 2 Memory Slots
Base Memory (Non-Removable): 0MB
Before you begin the installation, it's worth considering backing up any critical files in the event of a problem occurring. DO NOT install the memory while the computer is in standby or hibernation mode. Ensure that the system is completely powered down.
This is simply done to remove any static electricity from your body so that accidental zaps don't damage your memory modules. While your computer is still plugged into the wall, touch a metal part of your computer. If you leave your computer you will need to ground yourself again. Alternatively, you can invest in an anti-static strap and clip yourself to a grounded piece of metal.
Once the computer is completely shutdown, remove all plugs and the power cable from the computer. As you are upgrading a notebook it is also important to remove the battery.
Always keep the memory modules in their anti-static bag until you are ready to begin the installation. Handle the modules only by the edges and don't touch the gold pins. No tools are required to remove or fit memory modules and using tools can cause damage to the modules.
1. Remove the two screws shown in the picture below, then proceed by removing the memory cover.
2. To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out on a 45 degree angle.
3. To install the new memory upgrade, hold the upgrade on a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the upgrade with the notch located in the memory slot.
4. Gently push the module in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the module in place.
5. Make sure the module is firmly in the slot and that's it's not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the module by repeating steps 2 to 4.
6. Close the memory slot compartment and replace the battery and any removed accessories. You can now restart your system with the new memory installed.
You're done! Once you have closed your computer and reattached all the accessories that were connected, it's time to switch it on. No software or settings will need to be changed as the computer detects the memory upgrade automatically.
Find more memory upgrades at: www.upgradeable.com.au
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- 5G will help autonomous cars cruise streets safely
- FCC rolls back net neutrality ISP transparency rules
- Razer's Power Bank boosts your laptop battery while charging two smartphones
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCTest ManagerWA
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT