Samsung has raised the stakes in flash storage with a new 1TB solid-state drive based on its newest memory technology.The SSD is targeted at high-end PCs, and the drive is based on Samsung's second generation V-NAND technology, in which storage chips are stacked vertically. Samsung also announced 128GB, 256GB and 512GB capacity SSDs.The 1TB drive could ratchet up SSD storage in laptops, which have so far largely topped off at 512GB. The new SSDs have two times the durability in writing data and are 20 percent more power efficient than conventional NAND-based SSDs in which storage modules are placed side by side, Samsung said in a statement. Prices for the SSDs were not immediately available.Samsung has improved on its original V-NAND technology, stacking 32 NAND storage layers in one chip package. The first-generation of V-NAND, announced in August last year, stacked 24 storage layers. The layers transfer data through a proprietary interconnect.Chip stacking is already found in memory chips and system-on-a-chip devices. Putting storage chips in a vertical structure is viewed as the new way to add storage capacity as devices get smaller and more power-efficient. Samsung later this year plans to announce new drives that are more reliable based on the new V-NAND technology, the company said.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft reinstates My People for Windows 10, connecting you to your BFFs
- This overclocked EVGA GTX 1050 Ti costs less than reference models
- This week in games: Forza Horizon 3 gets Hot Wheels, Terry Crews gets a wild Old Spice PC
- Radeon owners rebel when AMD drivers stealth drop Quake Champions links on desktops
- Surface sales sag and Windows Phones fade, as Microsoft's hardware business takes a hit
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Data ConsultantWA
- CCEnd User Services ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCNetwork Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- FTAnalyst Programmer - Mulesoft Focus x 3NSW
- TPBusiness Analyst (BI Focus)WA
- FTFinance Analyst with Accounting | 8 Month ContractVIC
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- FTSenior IT Domain SpecialistVIC
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- FTC# DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - UX experience NeededNSW
- TPStrategic Business AnalystVIC
- CCSolution Designer with PEGA experience- TelcoVIC
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTElectronic Payments POS Business Analyst - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- FTInfrastructure Architect - UrgentSA