Zynga's network of users has historically been tightly linked to Facebook's social graph, but now the gaming giant is looking to branch out.On Thursday, Zynga rolled out changes to its homepage allowing users to create an account on the site just for playing games without having to log in first through Facebook, as has been the custom previously.The moves are part of a larger company plan to further distance itself from Facebook in an effort to expand and solidify its own user base. Ending the contract with Facebook that has bound Zynga more tightly with that social network than others was about doing what's best for the players, Zynga chief operations officer David Ko said Thursday afternoon. "A large percentage of our players are connecting with their Facebook ID, but there's also a large percentage of players coming to us specifically to play in a gamer environment, and we're trying to offer them that experience on Zynga.com," he said during a conference in downtown San Francisco.People will still have the option of connecting through Facebook and retaining their existing friends, game progress and sharing history.In 2013 Zynga will also focus on strengthening its franchise of products as it rolls out new games, Ko said.Draw Something 2, for instance, which incorporates significant user feedback from the company's hugely successful Draw Something mobile drawing game, will launch "soon," the COO confirmed.Running with Friends, which has already rolled out in Canada, as well as Farmville 2 for mobile, will also launch this year, Ko said.The company will also focus specifically on mobile and tablet computers as more people move away from the desktop."Mobile right now for Zynga is one of our most important issues as a company," Ko said.Currently 72 million of the company's 300 million monthly active users access games on mobile, but Zynga is looking to scale up those numbers for mobile.More gaming companies, Zynga included, will also be looking at launching products first on tablets instead of smartphones as the devices become more widespread and allow for richer gaming experiences, Ko said.Besides Facebook, Zynga's games are also accessible through Google+ and the Android platforms, though 86 percent of the company's revenue in 2012 was derived from Facebook, Zynga said in its most recent annual report.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft tries to expel Chromebooks from schools with Intune app and low-cost PCs
- If we show you how to back up your PC for free, will you finally do it?
- How to create Live Tiles for your Steam games in Windows
- Samsung sees 2016 profit jump despite Note 7 debacle
- Microsoft's first Creators Update features for Xbox One focus on Home, Guide, Copilot
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPFunctional Business AnalystQLD
- CCAccessability TesterNSW
- TPBusiness Objects DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Full-stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTASP.NET Developer - ASP.NET/JQUERY/SQLNSW
- TPSystem AdministratorQLD
- FTInformation Security ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness/Data AnalystQLD
- TPIT Sercurity EngineerVIC
- FTLead Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- CCNetwork Security Specialist - Palo Alto Firewall ExpertVIC
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- TPLevel 3 Systems EngineerWA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantACT
- PTVBA Analyst Programmer - Permanent / Part Time (3 days per week)QLD
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- TPAndroid DeveloperSA
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Developer - FileNetWA
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCProcess Specialist - short contract, asap start!VIC