Collaboration Sites and Services
The five collaboration services we looked at can easily connect you with contractors, coworkers, or relatives. They cover business chat, secure screen sharing, microblogging, and more.
- What it does: Enables secure screen sharing; perfect for troubleshooting a relative's or friend's PC from afar.
- Why we like it: Nothing to install. The sharer downloads and runs a tiny app and then gives a 12-digit code to the person taking control remotely.
- What it does: Connects you with local service professionals--from attorneys to house cleaners to wedding planners.
- Why we like it: Just post your "need" and then wait for bids to roll in. Compare offers, view each professional's credentials, and read reviews left by other customers.
- What it does: Creates "disposable" chatrooms for on-the-fly meetings with coworkers or planning sessions with friends.
- Why we like it: Easy to use. Simply create a name for your chatroom, and invite people via Facebook, Twitter, or e-mail.
- What it does: Offers Facebook-style functions for individual businesses. Employees communicate in a variant of a private social network.
- Why we like it: Ample collaboration features, including microblogging, file sharing, and groups within the network.
- What it does: Adds a feature-rich discussion forum to any blog, product page, Website, or other online destination.
- Why we like it: An easy way for bloggers, small-business owners, and other Website owners to communicate with readers.