Mobile phone survives fire
- — 19 November, 2007 11:13
A TU550 mobile phone has miraculously survived a sugar cane fire in Queensland, LG Electronics reported on Monday. The handset, which was accidentally dropped by its owner during the blaze, continued to function despite its exposure to extreme temperatures. According to LG, the phone's exterior was melted away in the heat, yet could still be used to take and receive calls.
The owner of the phone, local Queensland farmer, Jeffrey Schmidt, was amazed by the handset's durability. "My son found the melted handset half open and to our amazement the light was still on. We were doubly shocked to find that calls could be made from the phone with perfect reception," he explained.
The handset's camera was also found to be functional -- albeit with a badly burnt and distorted lens.